To take your ideas to Policymakers, Join the Campaign of #PolicyPulse Write to feedback@policypulse.com

Syrian migrant behind explosion in Germany

Suspected attacker had reached Germany two years ago and had his asylum claim rejected last year

Policy Pulse
Publish Date: Jul 25 2016 1:02PM | Updated Date: Jul 25 2016 1:02PM

Syrian migrant behind explosion in Germany

 A Syrian migrant killed himself and injured 12 others after setting off a bomb in the German city of Ansbach, officials said.

 
Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann has said that  the 27-year-old man detonated a backpack device after being refused entry to a festival in the city on Sunday night due to the lack of a ticket, the BBC reported.
 
Explosion was reported to have occurred outside the Eugen's Weinstube wine bar which is a short distance from the entrance to the Ansbach Open Music Festival.
 
Suspected attacker had reached Germany two years ago and had his asylum claim rejected a year ago.
 
He was given leave to stay temporarily given the situation in his home country and provided with an apartment in Ansbach, he added.
 
The minister said he was "incensed" by the attack, which he said demonstrated the need "to strengthen controls on those we have living in our country", BBC reported.