To take your ideas to Policymakers, Join the Campaign of #PolicyPulse Write to feedback@policypulse.com

ISIS claims Orlando Club massacre

FBI is yet to find evidence that corroborates with the claim

Policy Pulse
Publish Date: Jun 13 2016 12:07PM | Updated Date: Jun 13 2016 12:10PM

ISIS claims Orlando Club massacre

People mourn for the victims of the mass shooting (Photo: IANS)

 

The Afghan gunman - Omar Mateen, who killed more than 50 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando on Saturday, pledged allegiance to ISIS in a phone call to emergency number 911 during the attack. 

 

Mateen, a 29-year-old security guard who was born in New York, called 911 after the deadly massacre and confirms his alliance with ISIS. He talked to the leader of the Islamic State Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi after the incident, law enforcement officials were quoted as saying by media reports. 

 

During the call, he also mentioned the Boston bombers -- Tsarnaev brothers, who carried out the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013. Mateen, who carried an assault rifle and a pistol into the gay club in Orlando in the wee hours of Sunday and killed people, was later shot dead by the police. 

 

He made the 911 call from a bathroom of the gay club in Orlando, Florida. During the call he gave his full name, officials said. US President Barack Obama has described the massacre as an act of terror and an act of hate. The FBI is investigating the case as an act of terrorism. 

 

Accu-Chek celebrates Real Hero vs Diabetes.Accu- Chek Active Fun, stimulating activity kits for 3-8 year olds!Magic Crate Recommended By Colombia "It appears he was organised and well-prepared," Orlando Police Chief John Mina told reporters. 

 

The police said they have not found any accomplices so far. According to the police, Mateen was previously under FBI radar. FBI had interviewed him in 2013 and 2014. But at that time the FBI did not find anything against him.