A major fire broke out on Monday evening at Sum Hospital in Khandagiri area of Bhubaneswar. At least 22 patients were killed and 10 others injured in the mishap.The death toll is likely to increase.
According to reports, the fire broke out in the dialysis intensive care unit (ICU) located on the first floor of the hospital at around 6.30 pm. Hospital authorities said the mishap occurred due to electric short-circuit.
“Short circuit seems to be the reason of the fire. We are examining how the fire mishap occured,” said Basant Pati, deputy superintendent of Sum Hospital.
Seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Thirteen ambulances were engaged to evacuate patients to other hospitals.
A few patients who suffered burn injuries were rushed to Capital Hospital and others in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack for immediate attention.
Reports said some attendants and patients sustained injuries when they tried to save their lives due to suffocation by jumping from the first floor of the building after breaking the windowpanes. A high-level probe has been ordered by the government.