To take your ideas to Policymakers, Join the Campaign of #PolicyPulse Write to feedback@policypulse.com

Fire breaks out in Odisha CM's chamber

State Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was not in room in the time of incident

Policy Pulse
Publish Date: Apr 27 2016 2:50PM | Updated Date: Apr 27 2016 2:53PM

Fire breaks out in Odisha CM's chamber

 A minor fire broke out due to electrical short-circuiting in Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik’s chamber in the state assembly building in Bhubaneswar on Wednesday. 

 
No loss of life or damage to documents was reported.
 
Director General of Police K.B. Singh, said an electrical short circuiting from the digital clock on a set-top box of a television set in the office started the fire. 
 
He said the general electrical division would inquire into and pinpoint the cause of the fire. Fire Department personnel managed to douse the fire quickly. 
 
Patnaik was not in the room when the fire broke out. 
 
Since House is in session, Speaker Niranjan Pujari and other members, including some ministers, rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation. 
 
"The fire started from the set-top box of a TV. Senior officials and many other staff were present there at the time of incident. Only a portion of the plywood and the TV has been damaged," said BJD legislator Debasis Nayak. 
 
No document in the chamber was damaged, he added.