Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday launched Rs 10,200 crore Setu Bharatam project, which aims to make all national highways free of railway crossings by 2019.
Launching the project he said, "Railways won't run successfully by only applause. We decided to change and extend Rail lines and gauges. Earlier trains were just announced to please some MPs and get applause, many projects lie incomplete. We've changed the way railway sector is looked at and how change can be brought about in that sector."
Rural roads have got lot of resources in this year's Budget. This is a focus area for us. This infrastructure will give speed and strength to the development of India.
We focus on a quantum jump and breakthrough, PM added.
PM said that the first thing is to take complete stock of the situation & then work ahead. When it comes to roads, we need to also think about facilities for people and how our roads can help people in rural areas.
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways Pon Radhakrishnan were also present during the launch in New Delhi.
Gadkari had earlier said that 208 places have been identified for construction of rail over-bridges or underpasses.