Recently around 215 dyed chicks were seized, by an NGO, from a pet vendor in East Nizamuddin New Delhi. The rescue operation was able to turn up, after an animal lover caught the site of these birds being transporting by a man.
Enraged by the sight of the vendor carrying the ‘coloured’ hatchlings that were crammed into a cage, Anjali Daphtary, a Friendicoes supporter, facilitated the rescue by seizing the animals and alerting animal welfare NGO Friendicoes SECA and its sister organisation Wildlife SOS.
“What seems like adorable fluffy pets to most, are in reality victims of animal cruelty. The dye is commonly sprayed on the hatchlings or injected into the incubating egg with food colouring or chemicals such as ammonia and hydrogen peroxide,” informed the spokesperson of the wildlife SOS NGO.
“Adding to the trauma endured by the chicks through the dyeing process, the chemicals are hazardous to their skin causing many chicks to die due to toxicity,” the spokesperson told Policy Pulse.
Geeta Seshamani, Vice- President Friendicoes said, “On account of the added colours, these vibrant birds attract the attention of children who treat them as unique toys and pets for display.”
“But little people would know that the dyeing process is a traumatic experience for the hatchlings as they are tossed around in a tub filled with dyes and then rubbed vigorously to ensure that the colour spreads evenly,” Seshmani added.
As part of solution, Seshmani said, “There is a need to spread awareness among the public to ensure that they refrain from encouraging this cruel and inhumane practise.”
Suvidha Bhatnagar, Head of Communications, Wildlife SOS shared with Policy Pulse, “Demand for these ‘cute’ pets are increasing, on account of the added colours.”
“However, once their feathers start to grow out, the dye slowly fades away and the grown hens or cockerels are often abandoned by their owners, who no longer find them attractive,” she added.